On Friday, October 13, at the Asia Initiatives (AI) Gala, Ban Ki Moon will present an award, named after him, to Gloria Steinem. Just like AI, Gloria Steinem started her work in India, and has since become a powerful voice for women’s issues internationally. We will also be honoring Eva Haller and Yue-Sai Kan for championing social justice causes. The gala will bring together leaders from the business, academic, and diplomatic communities who care about eradicating poverty and improving social equity around the world. The evening is a celebration of the women and families lifting themselves out of poverty into economic self-sufficiency and dignity; it is an evening of recognizing AI and our supporters, since without you none of our work would be possible!
Douglas Hodge (Managing Director and Senior Advisor, PIMCO)
Katie Baker (Asia Initiatives Board Member), James H Brooke (Real Estate Investor), Eric Durant (Friend of Asia Initiatives), Silja-Riita Durant (Friend of Asia Initiatives), Tim Feige (Board, Search for Common Ground), Anna May Feige (Former Co-Chair, Asia Initiatives), Kylie Schuyler Hodge (Asia Initiatives Board Member), Tokufumi Kato (Senior VP, Neuberger Berman), Alicia Kershaw (Executive Director, GALLOPNYC), (Preeti MattooDirect of Engagement, Awear Solutions), Maryalice Mazzara (Director, SUNY Global Affairs Office), Arjun Mehta (Investor, Bregal Sagemount), Samiya Mir (Partner, Katona & Mir LLP), Tom Montag (COO, Bank of America), Janet Montag (Asia Initiaves Advisor), Elizabeth Brooke Murray (Life Leadership Coach), Kusum Punjabi (Physician, UMDNJ Robert Wood ohnson), Paul Sheard (Executive VP & Chief Economist, S&P Global), Yoshiko Sheard (Friend of Asia Initiatives), Shining Sung (Asia Initiaves Advisor).
Media Partner: TV Asia
TV Asia is the first information and entertainment channel for the South Asian community in North America. Founded by the legendary Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan in 1993 and expanded by entrepreneur and community leader H.R. Shah, TV Asia airs regularly scheduled programming in Hindi, English and Gujarati, 24/7. As South Asians choose to maintain attentive interest in the affairs of their homeland, TV Asia dedicates its efforts to bringing the South Asian-American community together by delivering a high quality channel both in content and on-screen presentation.
Asia Initiatives has:
- Helped 2,500 women receive health checkups and 1,300 girls to stay in school
- Established over 200 microcredit banks to support small businesse
- Supported 40 village knowledge centers for underserved communities, offering access to education and information resources
With your support, we can do following:
- $100 – Provide sanitary supplies and primary healthcare for an adolescent girl for a year
- $500 – Assist with seed capital for 5 women to start a poultry business
- $2,500 – Fund health check ups for 100 women
- $5,000 – Support a SoCC-preneur
- $7,500 – Equip an entire primary school of over 100 students with tablets, internet and online programs for digital learning
- $10,000 – Ensure access to safe drinking water for an entire village
Dress Code: Festive Attire or National Dress
Here is a link to some of our pictures from past Galas: https://www.flickr.com/photos/asiainitiatives/albums/72157660479369725
Asia Initiatives is a 501c3 organization and your donation will be tax deductible to the extent provided by the law. We look forward to seeing you there!