ORGANIC FARMING IN YAVATMAL
In partnership with Deendayal Bahuuddeshiya Prasarak Mandal, an NGO tackling the causes of agrarian crisis in Yavatmal, Asia Initiatives launched a program to support sustainable organic farming practices. The program empowers underserved women with low-cost organic farming techniques to ensure they do not end up in an inescapable debt cycle. More than 300 women earned SoCCs for attending regular meetings promoting organic farming, financial literacy, reproductive health and hygiene. Participants also earned SoCCs for investing in savings accounts on a monthly basis, preparing herbal pesticide, among other activities. Women redeemed SoCCs for activities such as attending health camps.
Partner: Deendayal Bahuuddeshiya Prasarak Mandal
Location: Yavatmal, India
- 602 participants across 32 villages adopted organic farming practices
- 3033 trees were planted, and 2799 trees survived the end of program
- 92.8% tree sapling survival rate
- $1,479,784 dollars were saved in total across our participants
- 1233 acres is under organic farming
- 602 women got access to bicycle banks
- 191 bicycles distributed in 32 villages
- 602 women opened bank accounts
- $2458 in average savings
- 600 women took up organic farming
- 1300 SoCC’s are gained a year, and redeemed for a kitchen garden starter kit, MHM workshop, SafePad pack or a trainer.
This project contributes to 7 of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)